Saturday, January 23, 2010

My first yoga class!

As a teacher, that is!

Friday night I taught half of a 45 minute yoga class that consisted of 10 other yoga-teachers-in-training. It was terrifying and stressful, but super rewarding and uplifting at the same time. And my partner was great - she and I worked together really well and she's already a fabulous teacher!

Together we designed a class that focused on forward folds. We had to make some adjustments for time constraints and stuff, so I'm not exactly sure what the sequence was that my partner led everyone through. But here's the sequence I led the class through:
  • Seated breathing with flowing arm movements
  • Baddhakonasana
  • Flowing cat and cow poses with the breath
  • Uttanasana - held for 5-10 breaths clasping elbows in front or behind legs
  • Surya Namaskara A - twice, holding down dog for 5 breaths
  • Parsvottanasana, flowing to Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana
  • Prasarita Padottanasana with hands clasped behind the back
  • Prasarita Padottanasana with fingers hooked around the big toes
It's not super challenging - which is good, because my class came after two other 45 minute classes - but it's great for stretching out the hamstrings and relaxing after a tough day. The whole sequence took us about 20 minutes to move through, so it's pretty quick, too.

I'm excited to start working on designing more of my classes now! It's a pretty awesome rush to successfully make it through your first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment