Monday, February 8, 2010

A Busy Monday of Activity

My goal is to 100% stick to my workout plan for the week, and so far I've been successful!

This morning I woke up at the ungodly hour of 5:30am to get my butt to the Yoga Shala for a 75-minute Ashtanga Prep class. I learned really quickly that one of the best parts of morning yoga is the warmth of the shala - it was a balmy 30-ish degrees outside this morning, but inside the studio it was at least in the upper 80s. It's basically like walking into a cross between a hot tub and a sauna, with a bit more activity involved. The instructor was great for the morning, too! She was the right combination of happy/perky and calm/collected - not too overwhelming for us morning haters. Plus she did some great adjustments that felt awesome! Further proof that a good adjustment during yoga really can feel like a massage.

This was my first time ever going to yoga in the morning before work. My pre-work workouts have traditionally consisted of either a hard run or hard cardio at the gym, so yoga was a completely different way to start the day for me. And let me just say, it was FANTASTIC. No coffee or anything and I didn't get tired all day! I'm definitely looking forward to another morning of yoga tomorrow.

This evening after work I hit the treadmill for a 6 mile "easy" run. Easy in quotation marks because I (of course) took it faster than I was supposed to! My training plan said 6 miles at 9:15/mile pace, and after a mile of that I decided I just couldn't make it through 5 more miles going that slow. So up the pace went to 8:34 - which felt much more comfortable and like I was GOING somewhere! At mile 5 I threw in a quarter mile speed piece at 7:03/mile pace, and then slowed it back down to 9:15. A quick quarter-mile cool down walk and in 56 minutes I'd completed my easy run.

So overall I'd say this was a successful start to my week of exercise. Now if only I could be as successful with my job, wedding planning, and thesis writing this week, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment